ILM's Origin Story
Islamic Life Madrassah (ILM) is a community based organization established in 2009. ILM’s classes started with 35 registered students and 3 salaried staff and has since grown to over 140 registered students, with six educators, and one full-time administrator (i.e. 7 salaried staff members).
Although ILM’s core focus is religious instruction, we strive to also provide ILM students with the necessary skill set needed to prepare them for the future. We aim to develop and inculcate a holistic understanding of Islam as a complete way of life and in doing so to discover the natural way of the siraatul mustaqeem.
ILM’s primary objective is to provide youth with an environment to develop a holistic rationale understanding of the Quran and Sunnah of the Nabi Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)
To support this objective, ILM will provide the youth, via its educational methodologies, the opportunities to engage with other organisations and scholars to develop, share and enhance their critical, reflective, and creative engagement with the Quran and Sunnah of the Nabi Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) to become valuable citizens. The following objectives are included below:
- To continue developing and inculcating, in our learners, an holistic understanding of Islam, as a complete way of life.
- To enable the teaching and learning process, purchase items such as a projector, laptops and/or Desktops for ILM staff.
- To ensure ILM has sustainable and diversified income to cover ILM’s operating costs, e.g. salaries and rental, and
- Save money for ILM’s medium/long term objectives
- To enable and support the success of ILM’s long-term goal,
- Purchase a property or plot, or enter into a long-term lease agreement for an appropriate property, and
- To ensure ILM has sustainable income sources to cover capital expenses (e.g. property purchase) and operating expenses (e.g. additional operating overhead)
- To continue with our short and medium term objectives, and
- Establish a “day” school that provides an Islamic and Western Cape Education Department curriculum.
The ILM Team
ILM’s Executive Committee sets the strategic direction of the organization, and ensures, via its oversight role, the smooth running of the madrassah.
ILM’s education team sets the syllabi in accordance with the Quran and Sunnah of the Nabi Muhammad (S.A.W). ILM provides a holistic Islamic teaching approach that covers the four maḏāhib, and incorporates outdoor learning and Montessori based teaching methodology in our lesson plans.
ILM has an experienced administration team that sees to the operational needs and requirements of our stakeholders. These stakeholders include students, teachers & parents. Our operations branch also oversees the fundraising & working committees of the organization.
ILM's Executive Team